(Source: , via revelsinmalevolence)
"we only have to look at ourselves for proof that extremely unlikely things can and do happen all the time" - Stephen Hawking
A list of words most of us never knew existed. Follow the link to read the article.
- Snoutfair: A person with a handsome countenance
- Pussyvan: A flurry, temper
- Wonder-wench: A sweetheart
- Lunting: Walking while smoking a pipe
- California widow: A married woman whose husband is away from her for any extended period
- Groak: To silently watch someone while they are eating, hoping to be invited to join them
- Jirble: To pour out (a liquid) with an unsteady hand: as, he jirbles out a dram
- Curglaff: The shock felt in bathing when one first plunges into the cold water
- Spermologer: A picker-up of trivia, of current news, a gossip monger, what we would today call a columnist
- Tyromancy: Divining by the coagulation of cheese
- Beef-witted: Having an inactive brain, thought to be from eating too much beef.
- Queerplungers: Cheats who throw themselves into the water in order that they may be taken up by their accomplices, who carry them to one of the houses appointed by the Humane Society for the recovery of drowned persons, where they are rewarded by the society with a guinea each, and the supposed drowned person, pretending he was driven to that extremity by great necessity, is also frequently sent away with a contribution in his pocket.
- Englishable: That which may be rendered into English
- Resistentialism: The seemingly spiteful behaviour shown by inanimate objects
- Bookwright: A writer of books; an author; a term of slight contempt
- Soda-squirt: One who works at a soda fountain in New Mexico
- With squirrel: Pregnant
- Zafty: A person very easily imposed upon
by Carmel Lobello